Sunday, March 9, 2014

Sunday full of sun!

A beautiful day with the sun shining and feel of spring in the air.

My sister, Britta, is 20 weeks pregnant with a boy!! I skyped with her Friday night. It has become Facebook official today, which means I can talk about it:-) Very excited for them!! They have an almost 2 year old daughter, Kiri. Kiri was born on my birthday and is an adorable little girl. I'm excited for them to have a son too!

Nurse Kris kept me entertained once again during Saturday night feedings. I took a picture of her with Mollie and William. We have her Sunday night yet, but then she has off for a couple days. Great nurses like her make it just a little hard to go home. Especially because I don't imagine my husband being much good for banter and conversation for the middle of the night feedings. :-)

Nurse Lisa came back at 7am. The time change altered the feeding schedule times, which meant I had to keep reminding myself of feeding times.
Nursing was stable in the 30mLs for Mollie and William. Most of the day. Mollie nursed 55mL once too. 
After the 10:30am nursing, Dr Benson stopped by. He is so great to come each day! After meeting with him I left and went to Target and ate Massad's in the the mall. I bought materials for nursing staff gifts. I have determined to buy flavored water for the nurses right now, and ordered special cookies from Rachel Britz to be delivered Tuesday. A few people have been most dear to me during this stage, and they are getting a "Bucket o' Subshine." It includes post it's, silly string, a yellow pencil cup, highlighters, Crystal light mix, Carmel Doce chocolates, peanut butter M & Ms, halos(lil oranges), lip balm, Juicy Fruit Gum, and more. I loved putting them together!

About 2:30, my mom and Gene came by for snuggles. My mom worked on stretching out Williams neck, seeing as prefers to look over his left shoulder. They then headed out. 
gave Lisa her bucket of sunshine. She really enjoyed it. In exchange I asked for a picture of her with Mollie and William. She will be a special lady I tell them each about. 

6:00pm Josh and Caleb came. Caleb helped pick up Mollie and Will from the nursery. He's such a helpful big brother. He told Lisa he was taking them home. It really needs to be time for us to go home and truly become a family of 5! 

I think Lisa noted this and she gently gave the option of trying bottle feeding. Before she walked in, Josh had just asked if anyone had mentioned bottle feeding or if it would help get us home faster. 

While we all want me to be able to breast feed, we also want Mollie, William, and me to go home. Lisa assured me that M & W are excellent nursers and I would very likely be able to exclusively nurse in the near future. Bottle feeding could be short term solution to just get us over this hump. I appreciated her honesty, expert advice, and gentle approach. 

Left alone, Josh and I shared a few tears and I willing decided to try bottle feeding. I don't know exactly what emotion the tears came from. It might have been grief, to lose this wonderful act of love and closeness (nursing) for a little while. Or it could have been relief - permission to try something that could get me home with family sooner. Or maybe it was fear. I am giving up control and doing something I haven't done with such small babies before. 

I walked down to the nursery and told Lisa the news. She grabbed the necessary supplies. At 6:50pm we started bottle feeding with Lisa showing me the tricks and tips. 

Lisa's shift ended at 7 and she gave the report to Kristen. Kristen would be my nurse for 4 hours until Kris was back on duty at 11pm. During the report Lisa noted my dedication to nursing my babies every three hours since they were born. It was very sweet to hear her support and encouraging tone of voice for my decisions over the last two and a half weeks. Lisa is now off for the next two days and we may not see her again. It was a bittersweet moment to say goodbye, and I sincerely hope it is not the last time we see one another, just hopefully not as hospital patients. Kristen then helped finish the bottle feeding, which was successful for both Mollie and William.

Now time for sleep! It was a big day!

1 comment:

  1. Great to hear the progress. Can't wait to see you all and get in snuggles.

    ReplyDelete