Saturday, March 8, 2014

Friday + Saturday

Lisa's back!! I have said over and over that the nursing staff is exceptional and I've had great conversations with each nurse. However, Lisa was William's delivery nurse and we've loved her from the start. She has treated William and Mollie like her family, and treated me with so much care as well. I practically hugged her when I saw her this morning. I missed her. 
The Pediatrician met with me again this morning, asking me to consider exclusively nursing both babies. He felt it was time for them to surge ahead and felt they would surprise me and do well. I had already held him off once, and they did have a good day yesterday, so I was willing to try. However, I did make sure he would be on duty all day and if things weren't going well we'd meet to discuss modifications to the plan. They started out doing really well. Mollie even had a feeding that was nursing over 50mL. However, as the day wore on, their stamina decreased. 

In the afternoon, Josh came by for snuggles in between some errands. Then Oma stopped after work. Josh hadn't planned on bringing Caleb tonight but on the drive home from daycare he insisted on going to the hospital! How can you say no?!

Grandpa Gene got to hold both Mollie & William for awhile and then played with Caleb. Caleb was in a great mood and we had him laughing pretty hard. I love his laugh!!

Pat Jones also stopped by today. She volunteers at the hospital and so it was convenient for her to stop in and say hi. It was very sweet of her. She left shortly before Oma and Grandpa Gene left. Then it was time for the next feeding and nurse shift change. Kris is back. She's the best night nurse! I feel spoiled having Lisa and Kris in the same day. Kris is the nurse who makes me laugh. She's quick to laugh and has a great one to share. She's perfect for those night feedings. 

By midnight Mollie and William were nursing only 20mL and 11mL. They were pooped. So we rested them at the 3:30am feeding and discussed the doctor our concern as well as the fact that at their midnight weigh in it showed they had lost weight. They weren't getting enough. 
Some great success and then they started to tucker out. We'll modify the plan for tomorrow. 

Tonight I am tired. I am mentally drained. Cheering M & W on all day, willing them to eat, and giving in to a little worry that they weren't getting enough. What mommy ever wants their child to go hungry? I didn't really feel the day's toll on me until evening when I just got heavy feeling. It is also hard to wake for these night feedings. Once I'm up I'm ok, but that moment where I actually have to decide to move and wake for nursing or pumping is quite hard. I'll make sure to nap Saturday.



SATURDAY:
I talked to the pediatrician, Dr Benson, and Lisa to make the decision on how to feed the babies today. The plan is to nurse, nurse, rest (tube feeding), nurse, nurse, rest, etc. This keeps them in the practice of nursing a majority of the time, but also makes sure they get their needed calories to Continue to grow. 

My friend and co-worker, Kathy, brought breakfast and her payment was in the form of snuggles. Kathy and I have always just clicked, so it was fun to see her click with Mollie and William. My dear friend Perry and Betty surprised me with a visit as well. They were so sincerely in awe and in love with Mollie and William. 


Jason, Carrie, Avery, and Eli dropped off some snacks and a shamrock shake:) they have been so supportive and generous. 

Sadly they couldn't stay long as it was time for me to nurse. Then when I was done nursing and pumping the next visitors came. Papa and Nana, Bob and Ruthan, returned from their out of state trip today and came right over. They had missed their newest grandbabies. 

My mom dropped by briefly, having run a few errands for me. Thankful for her!

Doug, Jen, and Max Doering (+Max's girlfriend) got to meet Mollie and William. Josh came for their visit too. They got about an hour of snuggles in. M & W thoroughly enjoyed just laying in their arms looking adorable.

Bath - William was hungry but we managed to squeeze in his bath. He did really well. He acted like a frog, kicking his legs. Mollie really likes her bath. Both settled into warm blankets for their tube feeding. They rested heavily while I pumped and ate supper. 


Now for the night time nursing routine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment