Thursday, March 6, 2014

2 weeks old!

Wow! Mollie and William are 2 weeks old! The time is already flying, despite staying at the hospital. The nurses are becoming family and I love the way I hear them talk to Mollie and Will - full of love. We're going to have to add some people or the entire nurse's station to our Christmas card list!:-)

Mollie- In 2 weeks she has shown that she can be feisty, as well as completely lady-like. It started in the womb and just kept on. During their official weighing after birth they put both Mollie and William on the scale. Mollie put her foot on William's neck! Little bully! ;) This weekend she pulled out her NG tube and held it high over her bassinet, showing everyone what she did. She also has the most beautiful hair. She looks into my eyes so sweetly and held hands with William today during our skin to skin time. She chugs along steadily while nursing, proving her stamina. 

William - He is sweet tempered. He nurses fast at first and then slows. He likes an intermission of 5 minutes in the middle of his 20 minute feeding. He too has pulled out his NG tube but hasn't
flaunted it. He's more subtle. He started out having the stinkiest farts, but has since lessened them considerably. He has the most forehead wrinkles when he scrunches up his face. Adorable! I say he looks like a middle aged, cardigan wearing, social studies teacher. Josh called him Benjamin Button:) but he's the cutest little old man looking baby:)!! William tends to favor looking to his left, so we try to prop him to stretch to his right. He shows that he has a little stubbornness as finds his way back to his left as much as he can. Nothing concerning at this point though. Just a bit of a stinker;)

Thursday, March 6:
This morning after the 6:00am feeding I quickly pumped and showered so I'd be ready for my friend Jill Graham to take some pictures. She offered to come to the hospital and take pics and I couldn't refuse a generous offer. I wanted some pictures capturing us in this place anyway. Prior to her coming their morning labs came back and they no longer need to be under the Bili lights. So we broke out of the nursery for our 8am photo shoot. Jill was here until our 9am skin to skin session and she captured some of that precious time too. I can't wait to see the pictures!

After she left William held Mollie's hand. Another moment that completely melted my heart. 

After this special time and pumping, I grabbed my purse and went to Tandem Bagels to get lunch and bring it to school to eat with staff. I walked in to Tandem and there was my former colleague, Kat! She looked at me and said, "What are you doing here? Do you have the day off of work?" I said, "I had my babies!" She got so excited for me, asked questions, and loved their pictures. Then a former para of mine while teaching kindergarten came up to say hi. She didn't know about the babies either. So fun to catch up and showing off the pictures of M&W. Then the owners/founders were working behind the counter, who I know as well. They were up on the news via Facebook and cheered me on and asked that I bring the babies in some time. Of course!

I got to school and was cheerfully greeted by the whole staff and joined them for lunch. It was great to see everyone and have a taste of 'normal'. Or at least the old normal.

I came to awake and hungry babies. Since they were both ready we decided to co-nurse. It was very successful. 
After nursing the babies needed to get back on monitors in the nursery. I tried to lay down for a nap, but got only about 15 minutes due to a clergy visit, a social worker, and lactation. Each was a short and helpful conversation, just chopped up my nap. 

My mom stopped by and I had her watch part of Jim Gaffigan's Mr Universe. She was laughing so hard she was crying! So fun!

At about 6:00 we had the smallest nursing amounts but they were still 22mL and 29 mL. Moving forward!
I Skyped quick with Britta with Molly's eyes open and again after the 9pm skin to skin session. Skype is so great. Britta will be coming to visit in about 2 weeks, which will be great timing:)

Alright, time to rest!




No comments:

Post a Comment