Tuesday, March 4, 2014

March 4-5

Tuesday Morning Weight Update: (Shrove Tuesday)
Mollie on Monday pm was 2435g, which is up 38grams! Current weight 5lbs 5.8oz.

William on Monday pm was 2479g, which is up 34grams! Current weight 5 lbs 7.4oz. 

The 6:30am feeding was great! Mollie nursed 26mL, and William nursed 29mL. 

Last night the third set of Taylor twins was born. So I had girl-boy; the second set was boy-boy; and finally there is a girl-girl set! Crazy!

Mollie is consistently building her volume while nursing, while William fluctuates a bit yet. The pediatrician noticed the same thing and this morning he recommended I exclusively nurse Mollie every 3 hours. We would only supplement if it isn't a successful feeding. After the doctor left the room I began to process what I heard. I suddenly couldn't wrap my head about it. How was I to drastically change the plan for Mollie but maintain the old schedule with Will. And what constitutes a 'poor' feeding in order for her to qualify for supplementing. I was willing to give it a try but needed some questions answered. 

When my nurse, Lisa, came in, we discussed the new plan, both of us having questions. I went ahead and nursed, but both Mollie and William transferred very low volumes. This really validated my concerns about how the new plan would work. I asked to talk to the pediatrician, but he was gone and a new one was on duty. That was fine, but it was over an hour before I was able to talk to her. In the interim I talked to the nursery manager for about 30 minutes about how care was done and recommendations for continued care. She apologized for having been gone for a couple weeks, but I felt there was no need for apologizes. I assured her I felt the care was exceptional and supportive. She recommended that we monitor M & W during feedings to ensure there are no issues with breathing or their heart rate. I agreed as long as I would be able to side-lie nurse in the room, so we each compromised and they would be monitored during tube feedings in the nursery.

Then the new pediatrician came and was very open to my recommendations and listened to my concerns. She stressed that the plan needed to work for both the babies and me. So she was supportive of my preference to give the plan made yesterday (Monday) another day or two to work with slight changes if progress is made. It just felt too much change at once that would not likely be successful. I feel I've been very optimistic through this stage, but this really didn't seem like we were setting Mollie up for success. So we finally got a clear plan going again. 

At the 12:30 feeding we did skin to skin in the nursery while they were being tube fed and hooked to monitors. As we were changing diapers, Lisa and I both noticed Mollie's cheek looked a bit yellow, like jaundice. So she did the temple scan and it was elevated. William's was up a bit but not as high. So they did labs and while I went home they put Mollie under the photo therapy lights (bili lights).

I pumped after skin to skin, grabbed a few things to take home, and hitched a ride with my friend Heather. She dropped me off at home and I did some laundry, organized mail, cleaned up baby presents and wrote who gave us what, pumped, etc. I meant to take a nap in my own bed, but time ran out. It did feel good to do 'mom things' at home again. I promise to nap next time:-)

Then I went to pick up Caleb from daycare. He was happy to see me there. It felt good to do that 'mom thing' again too! On the way home Caleb asked to go see Mollie and William. It was so cute. 

Josh had warned me, but tonight I recognized how similar Mollie and Mommy sound. Caleb was talking about Mollie and I mistakenly believed he said Mommy. This might be tricky for awhile. 

We got home and Caleb was thrilled Daddy was home. They really are best friends. Josh warmed up some things things for supper while Caleb and I played. Good to play with my toddler!

We ate supper, and shortly thereafter I needed to go, so I quickly packed up the final things I needed. Caleb did a slight whimper as I left. He asked for a kiss. I said, "Bye Caleb; I love you!" 
He replied in a quiet, sad voice, "Bye Mommy. I love you." Melt my heart.

Great feeding for Mollie = 37 mL, and William got 15mL. We're praying he catches up soon in his stamina. Jessica was my evening nurse and she clearly loved on M & W. They have had great care continuously!

I called my teaching partner, Peggy Morris, to check in on school kids and happenings, as well as give her an update. It was so good to connect with her and hear some 'shop talk' again. 

At 9:30 we had our skin to skin session. These have become some special times. Skin to skin is easy with one baby but there's not enough hands to easily get both babies laid on my chest, so I appreciate the nurses assistance. Not only do I love the contact with Mollie and William, but they get to have the contact with one another too.

Bedtime! 


March 5, 2014 - Ash Wednesday 
Kris was our night nurse again. She keeps those middle of the night and early morning feedings fun. We have some good laughs. We talked Jim Gaffigan and Jimmy Fallon. Two funny guys to keep me laughing. At the 6:30 feeding Kris was doing a post nursing weight on Mollie, or so she thought. She was actually holding William and was shocked when she said, "This can't be right! She drank 100mL." I replied, "You're holding William." We both lost it laughing. 

Overnight M & W had baths. Mollie's hair is amazing! 


Christina took over for the day, the same nurse from the weekend. It was great to have her again. We had to catch up on the changes with the bili lights. Both pediatricians were here this morning in the nursery and decided to put William under the lights as well. Neither M or W's numbers required the lights but we don't want them to get any higher and cause a change in their nursing. Which leads to the great news...William out ate Mollie! Both ate very well today. Daytime feedings were an average of 30mL for each. We're 60% of the way there! We're so happy to have made a surge forward. 

I also took two 45 minute naps today. I feel refreshed. This afternoon my cousin Kyle and Aunt Cheryl came to hold Mollie and William for a little bit. We gave the babes a short break from the bili light and instead they each got 100s of kisses from their Great Aunt Cheryl. She has offered her assistance once we are home...she's totally in love. 

Oma, my mom, stopped by after work to give some adoring looks as we did skin to skin time. A quick visit but some adult conversation I appreciated. Then Josh and Caleb brought me supper. Caleb walked in, said hi to me, and then asked where Mollie and Will were. I love how he is so interested in them and concerned about where they are. After we ate we were about to go to the nursery, but Christina rolled in William. Caleb knew it was Will and told Christina to go get Mollie too. Haha! Instead Caleb went down to the nursery with her and Daddy to say hi to Mollie. Christina gave Caleb  a Big Brother sticker and he tried to give it to Mollie and was concerned she had an owie. He makes me so proud of his caring heart.

We had a smaller feeding in the teens for both, but both were quite tired. And I'm not worried because it is common to have one lower feeding after some really rockstar feedings. My friend, Meghan, came to visit during this time and we had some good laughs and time catching up. She also brought a gift from the school staff. Super cute snack cups, spoons, and washcloths folded into flowers. I'm ready to see tulips!


A very positive day. Bring on the next one!














No comments:

Post a Comment