Tuesday, March 18, 2014

New week

Monday, March 17
Happy St Patrick's Day! Not a single family member wore green. Whoops! This morning I was very tired. Caleb hung out on the couch with me while Josh showered, but I was in and out of sleep. Josh then got Caleb dressed and I drifted into deeper sleep. So deep that I didn't hear them say goodbye and leave. Josh text that Caleb said bye bye and then followed with, "Night night Mommy."

I had planned to shower while Josh was still here each morning but I was beat this morning. After a feeding, I was able to take a quick shower while Mollie and William slept. Such Good babies all morning. Mollie just wanted to be held. William liked the swing.

Gene stopped at 1:00 with food and some time to hold William for a bit. Then my mom came to help load Mollie and William for their Dr Benson appointment. She came a little early and in that time she changed a load of laundry, crushed cans, and changed a diaper. Super Oma knows how to jump in!! 

I needed assistance at the beginning of the appointment because the appointment was right after a feeding and I knew I'd have paperwork to fill out. So while I registered,  my mom (Oma) bottle fed Mollie, and when I did paperwork she helped feed William too. She then had to jet back to work. But no worries, receptionist Lindsay loves my kids! Lindsay has loved Caleb since his first doctor's visit. She was thrilled to meet these two. 

We got called back and it was Nurse Katie's, and the other nurses, turn to dote on them. We weighed them, albeit a different scale than the hospital, and we had mixed feelings. 
William: 6lbs 6.4 oz
Mollie: 6lbs even 
I was pleased with Will's weight, but not Mollie's. It confirmed my suspicion that I should do less tandem nursing for now.  I was concerned that the latch is a little more awkward for them and therefore they wouldn't get the amount needed. With both nursing it's also more difficult for me to judge how well they nursed. 

When Dr Benson came in he was shocked I was alone, but I assured him I had help earlier. Dr Benson supported my decision to do less tandem nursing in order to give more attention to the one baby nursing. It might take longer, but better for babies. He recommended I see lactation again midweek and then him again on Friday for a weight check. We'll have frequent visits for awhile. 
Ready to go home:

We got back home and I pumped right away. Then I tried to nap but I'd lay down and one would stir, get them back to sleep, I would lay down, and then the other would stir. Eventually Josh and Caleb came home. Caleb is very helpful at offering the babies their pacifiers. It's pretty cute, although we have to keep an eye because sometimes they don't want it and Caleb wants them to want it;)

At about 6:15, Uroma (Great Grandma Harjes) came to visit with a crockpot of chili and a tuperware of muffins. She had the beginnings of a cold when she and Great Grandpa Bill came to the hospital, so she didn't hold them then. She was eager to hold them now. She held a baby the entire time, about 2 hours. She was so in love.

As she left I was nursing and afterward I laid down for the first shift of night's sleep while Josh stayed awake. He would bottle feed them at 11:30 and wake me after to pump and then I would stay out with Mollie and William. The system seems to work well. Josh is able to get enough sleep to be alert at work, ...with the help of coffee. :) 

Tuesday
I woke at 5:00 not feeling well. My tummy had been gurgling for the last couple hours and I had run to the bathroom twice. I woke Josh for help with that feeding, and then text Oma and Nana to help at some point in the day. It worked perfectly. Oma was able to do some paperwork from our house in the morning and at noon, Nana was able to take over.
Oma came at 9 and while I finished nursing she folded two baskets of clean laundry and put away the kids' clothes, threw in another load, and straightened up. Bless her. It made my going to bed for a solid 1.5 hour nap much easier. Before going to sleep I did call lactation to describe my symptoms and to ask what care is necessary to least effect my milk supply.

 At 11:30 Oma brought Mollie in to nurse and we did side-lying nursing. She brought Will in too because she needed to get to a meeting. We propped him and I was able to bottle feed him once he squeaked while nursing Mollie. About 15 min after Oma left, Nana arrived. She was able to burp Will while I finished nursing Mollie. I then pumped and she snuggled with the babies, and I went back to bed. 

Two glorious 1.5 hour naps back to back and I was feeling much better. I changed diapers and discovered William had poop nearly up to his armpit. Officially a blowout! I could barely take his clothes off without getting it everywhere. But I was glad he pooped. These babes tend to poop every other day or so. By the second, and sometimes third, I am praying for poop. I'm told not to worry and their poop is typical, but I like 'regular' digestion and diapers:)

Nana left at 2:30 and after that feeding I was even able to sneak another 30 minute nap on the couch before Josh and Caleb came home. 

Josh is so good to me. He gave me most of the evening off. We ate, I showered, and went to bed! I woke to nurse. I took over at midnight to cover the late night portion. I slept well and Josh had all three kiddos! For the 8:00 feeding he sent Caleb to get me. Caleb came in the room to snuggle with me but eventually I just got up because I could hear William begging to be fed:) Caleb didn't exactly relay the message. 

Josh has been a trooper with me through this enormous transition. He's taken it all on and been a loving, adoring daddy and husband. I'm so blessed we are in this together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment