Thursday, March 20, 2014

Hump day & sister time

Wednesday was one month until Caleb is 3! I am so proud of the big brother he is. He gently pats their heads and is full of concern when they cry. Caleb is also just a great little boy! He snuggles, loves toy robots, obsessed with the show Paw Patrol, is proud to put stickers on his potty chart, has the best bed head each morning, and insists on giving me kisses;) I love him more now that I have more children. Love grows! 

Wednesday morning I made sleep a priority. What a difference it made in my entire day. I was a new woman! The day went smoothly but I didn't get a shower in. Oh well. The house has a bit more clutter again, but oh well! 

At 8:15pm I picked up my big sister, Britta, from the Mankato Land to Air Depot. She flew in from Colorado for a long weekend. I'm so grateful for her taking time away from her family to help mine. And she's thrilled to have baby snuggles! She's staying overnight at our sister Lauren's house. 

The night was a bit of a hit and miss with sleeping babies. Not awful but sleep wasn't sound for any of us. By 5:30am I needed help with the feeding and needed to call on Josh. I was beat and they were hungry at the same time. 

Britta arrived just shy of 9am. I got a short nap and showered before our lactation appointment. Feeling good! Meanwhile Britta got some good snuggles in:)

Britta dropped us off at the hospital and then ran errands. At the lactation appointment Mollie and Will nursed great and gained great! Mollie nursed 56mL and Will 74mL!! What a peace of mind. When we left the hospital Will had rarely nursed over 50, and now a week later he's transferring over 70! Proud Mama! Mollie now weighs 6lbs 7.2oz, and William weighs 6lbs 9.9oz. 

Mollie and William are 1 month old, exactly 4 weeks old! They are growing and becoming more alert. They also enjoy being by one another. If one fusses and I pick the one up, in about 10 minutes the other one realizes he/she is alone and fusses too. We still keep them wrapped pretty well to maintain their temperature. They each have the cutest sneezes and hiccups. Mollie has shorts bursts of crying when she's upset, whereas William can get on a roll of cries. Mollie raises one pinky when eating and sometimes sleeping. Truly makes her a little lady.  Will likes to hold his Nuk as he sucks on it. Pretty cute!


We all came home and napped. We were exhausted. Then we quick had baths and fed babies. The MonsonAlms started arriving. We were having a family meal at our house so everyone could see Britta and babes. Gene and Mom provided Dickey's BBQ. It was delicious! Around the table was Britta, Gene, Zach, Lauren, Josh, Caleb, and me. My mom came a little later due to school conferences. 

As we were wrapping up dinner, William stirred and started fussing. Josh tried to calm him but Will was not having it. He had just sucked down a huge bottle, so I knew he wasn't hungry. It was 7:00 so I wondered if the 'witching hour' phase hadn't begun. He didn't want the Nuk but he was mouthy, so I did ask Josh to warm just a little milk. William took three swallows of the bottle and spit it out. So I ended up side-lie nursing and bam, all was well. It wasn't a rigorous feeding, but you could sense his feeling of security and calmness. That's something I just love about nursing. :-)

Eventually we rejoined the family in the living room. Uncle Zach had been enjoying Mollie snuggles, so I passed a calm Will to Grandpa Gene. I got to play with Caleb. While I had been gone, Auntie Britta had given him a Big Brother present of a Transformer. He is a fan of robots, so this was a big hit. 

The evening wound down and we ended with watching Marshall Bjorklund playing in the NCAA March Madness basketball tournament. We know his family from my Gaylord childhood days. Britta and his older sister Tara get together in Colorado sometimes. His team, N. Dakota, won against Oklahoma. It was an exciting game that went into overtime. 

Despite an exciting game and feeling quite awake, it was my chance to get sleep. You know how low you are on sleep when it only takes 10 minutes for one to fall asleep from all that excitement.

Mollie and William slept well between each feeding. Let's hope this keeps up!  

No comments:

Post a Comment