Friday, February 28, 2014

Monday-Tuesday, February 24-25

Monday, Feb 24: 
In the morning Dr. Benson came and shared that he was happy but we still have some work to do. He was proud of the babies and me. He ordered another bilirubin check on each baby.

Due to the results of the weight and bilirubin, the nurses(Amy & Lisa) talked to me about needing to do phototherapy and to consider doing a NG (Nasal Gavage) tube in each baby. I asked to wait until I could talk to lactation about the tubing, but totally understood and wanted the phototherapy to just get it done and not worry about possible jaundice so much. 

Talked to lactation at about 8:45. I had just been crying because Caleb had gotten so tired Sunday and then had a rough morning getting to daycare. My heart hurt for him in this unsettled time for him. Sue, from lactation, was very kind and supportive as I dried my tears. Sue explained that I could nurse while the babies got fed through the NG and that while it seems like it could hurt the nursing aspect it could actually help so they had more energy to nurse. So they put in the NGs. They go through their nose and right down to their tummies. 

When I went in the nursery for the first feeding, I found my babes in the same isolate, legs intertwined. It warmed my heart to see them cuddled together. We took them out and rolled them to my room for the feeding. 

Lisa T was my nurse and was great at helping me understand the NG feedings. Because the babies had to be under the lights for everything except for feedings, I had time to make some calls, blog, take a nap, and just rest. 

I got to Skype with my sister Krista. So good to catch up with her, but sadly I didn't have the babies with me. She was understanding and we had a good sister chat.  The social worker stopped by to make sure I was coping and it was good to just name all the ways I felt supported and loved by family, friends, and God. 

Gene, Grandpa, stopped by at about 4:15 and came at just the right time to hold both Mollie and William each for about 10 minutes as their NG feeding ended. Then my mom and Caleb came. Caleb was more interested in his tools and hospital game of Trouble than giving me any love, but I was glad to see him unphased by the hospital surroundings. They were just here for 15 minutes before Caleb was ready to either run a muck down the hallways or join Gene and Great Grandpa Alms at Pizza Ranch for supper. 

That evening I had a phone call with Garrett and Kayla, my brother and sister in law. They plan to come visit during the weekend. 
I also got a short skype call with Britta and Kiri in Colorado too. 

They needed to separate William and Molly because Molly was getting too warm. If they stabilize their temps they may share again. 

Both babies are nursing but not for long or very efficiently. They peter out before they get much due to the Jaundice, so I'm glad we had the NGs to make sure they are getting enough calories.

William is gassy!  His toots are lethal. 

Mollie & William


Tuesday:
Got to just pump and then sleep for the 3:30am feeding. It felt great! I showered and in the morning and Josh came to bring clothes and a few items. 
Josh went back to the house to continue work on the master bedroom upstairs while I worked my best to get Mollie and William growing. Side lying nursing has been working well for both Mollie and William to latch and nurse calmly. 

My sister, Greta, came to hold these little ones. They just laid in her arms and let her adore them. Once the 12:30 feeding and pumping was done I got out. Greta dropped me off at home. I downloaded some pictures and got some laundry going and packed some new clothes. Oma picked Caleb up from daycare and dropped him off at home for some time with Mommy and Daddy. He was so happy to be home, almost a week! I covered him with kisses right away and tackled him to the ground with love. Then I asked, "Do you out want to go play?" He exclaimed, "Yea!!!" And took off running for his toys in the living room, laughing with joy the whole way. That moment was worth it all! We played mini golf, hide n seek, and wrestled. I got tired, but was still able to do more play than I have been able to in the last two months. We finished with eating supper. Then Josh and I needed to head back to the hospital for the next feeding, and Caleb left for Oma's. Caleb went happily with Oma which made it easier for me to say goodbye. Our time together did my heart good, and it seemed it was good for Caleb too. 

After the 6:30 feeding, Josh and I did the required infant CPR and Heimlich training due to have premies. It was only an hour, but we were both pretty tired. We passed even in our tired state, which let's be honest, is likely how we'll feel for the next year:)

No comments:

Post a Comment