Friday, February 28, 2014

Feb 22-23 The weekend

Saturday:
Doctor rounds - things continue to go well, but the babies have lost too much weight to go home yet. This is common for their gestational age, so it wasn't surprising. I figured we would stay a bit longer anyway. 
Next, the day started an early morning visitor. Abby Simonson stopped by while on her shift to see our sweeties.
Glenn and Peggy Morris and their granddaughter Adalyn stopped by next. She knit booties for the babies and bought those super soft blankets. They brought a present for Caleb too. Later he opened it and said, "A present for me?!" With a shocked expression. It was a Tool belt and tools. He loves it!! Anything with a hammer is enjoyed these days. 

It was time for me to be discharged, but the babies weren't ready yet. Therefore, I needed to move to house guest status and move rooms. The only thing that would really change is that no one would be checking my vitals or giving me medications. The babies would continue to have a nurse, but I wouldn't. I could still order room service and everything!

It took several trips, but we eventually moved to 5010. It was a much smaller room, even smaller when both babies' bassinets were wheeled in. 

We got settled and Jason's family, Josh's brother, came to visit again. It was wonderful to visit and see how much they already loved these newest family members. 

Ruthan came sans kids again for more cuddle time in the evening. She is a proud Nana.

Initial temporal bilirubin numbers show they may need phototherapy, but the blood work showed them low, intermediate risk, so we held off. 
Still some weight loss. We started to supplement with formula through a tube at the breast with finger feeding. That is when they suck on your finger with a small tube pinched in there too, slowly releasing formula. Their suck usually draws the formula in from the syringe. Josh is very good at it! It is nice to have his help during feedings.

Sunday:
Each night Mollie and William sleep in the nursery so I sleep as much as possible. They are brought back for each feeding, ever 3 hours. My body has adjusted to this three hour cycle. In fact, just minutes before they wheel M&W into the room, I usually wake, turn on the lights, and get myself to a ready position. Each feeding takes about an hour and then I pump for about 15-20 minutes. That means I have about 90 minutes to sleep between each feeding. 50% of my day is about feeding these babies. An important job! While nursing I call Mollie the Tortoise and William the Hare. Mollie is slower but a bit more consistent. Will gets going fast and then peters out. 

Cousin Diana and daughter Laura came to visit and hold babies. They oohed and awed. They brought a present from my aunt and uncle, Joanne and Wally Bakken -two adorable outfits. 

About 2:00 Uroma and Great Grandpa Bill (William Harjes, Jr.) came for a visit. My grandpa said that he knows we plan to call William by his full name or Will, but 'as long as I'm living he may be called Billy Boy' :) My grandpa must be reliving his childhood days:) Oma brought little gifts for the babies and Caleb, as well as muffin for me, and meatballs for the freezer at home. We are so blessed to be showered with all these blessings!

Did some finger feedings more consistently instead of tube feedings right at the breast. It helped since the tubing sometimes rubbed, so it caused tenderness for me. Plus it went a bit faster as well. While nursing I have made the observation that William is very cerebral. He gets quite expressive and will just stare at times too. 

About 3:15, in walked Josh and Caleb. We played hide and seek in the hospital room. Yes there is enough room and corners/furniture to use when hiding. At one time Caleb fell, was totally fine, but said, "I think I need a doctor." Josh and I laughed! It was so cute!

4:30 Denise, Oma, picked up Caleb to keep for the week, or until we could go home. 

Bob and Ruthan, Papa and Nana, came a bit after 5:00. Bob had been out of town until today and was eager to get his hands on the newest grandbabies. We caught up and they just showered Mollie and William with love!

My friend, Meghan Wall, came then to get her baby fix too before Downton Abbey finale would air.

I watched most of Downton Abbey, but fell asleep at one point. I couldn't believe it! Obviously I was a bit tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment