Sunday, July 17, 2011

Being Mommy

Being Mommy is my new hat and I think it fits quite well. Most moments I think it fits perfectly on a beautiful, sunny day...and then other moments it feels like it shrunk in the dryer and won't quite go on. I don't like admit feeling inadequate or ill-equipped, so I have a hard time being completely honest with others and myself when people ask about being home with Caleb.

The truest thing I can say: I love being home with Caleb. I didn't know if I'd be someone who could be home with her kids or if I would need to work (at least part time). Sometimes I miss the "productive" feeling that a job can provide, but I still love my time with Caleb. It's strange how I can be home with Caleb but not have time to do all the household tasks I should. Being a mother truly is a full-time job! It's crazy how fast three people can throw a house into disarray.

As we are now halfway through the summer I am beginning to think about school. Balancing work, Caleb, and those nasty household tasks will be a new skill set I will acquire and hopefully master. Thankfully I have found a fabulous home daycare that I am excited about for Caleb. We are going to visit this coming week to get Caleb a bit acquainted.

Bottom line: I am thankful to have had the last three months and the next month home with Caleb. It is a treat to watch him grow day by day, moment by moment. I love you, Caleb!

2 comments:

  1. You are a great mommy! I'm so proud of you and your growing boy! It will always be an adventure. :) Plus, I'll be 3 blocks away if you ever need a hand or grown up time/babysitter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you never felt ill-equipped or inadequate, well, I'd say you were lying. haha. I would just like to say that by admiting your faults or vulnerabilities to others around you helps people feel a connection as a parent. It makes that mom who's really having a hard time feel less alone because she knows there's someone else out there who doesn't have it all all figured out either. It's comforting in a strange way. Being a parent is a challenging and growing experience. You can read all the parenting books in the world and you'll still be stumped sometimes. Kids are just like that. And something that works for one, may not work for another, something you probably have seen as a teacher. But by simply investing your time and love in that baby boy of yours, you are already doing amazing things. He's already got the best mommy and daddy he could ever get, and even if you don't know all the answers, you'll do what the rest of us do... figure it out. :D

    ReplyDelete