Sunday, June 10, 2012

Memorial Day Weekend

Too many days blur together and unfortunately priorities can become unorganized. Memorial Day is a great day to slow down and remember the many blessings and sacrifices that others have given for us.

I am responsible for placing the Monson family flowers on the grave at Scandian Grove. Josh, Caleb, and I drove out there and placed the flowers on my great-grandparents grave, John and Anna Monson. From there we drove to Bernadotte and paid respects at my grandparents and Dad's graves. At each location there was a chance to look at names and dates, think about the times they lived in and the lives they shared. Growing up I went to Green Isle for their Memorial Day celebration. My grandpa is the Chaplain and reads the names. Those names, dates, and lives were family to others, but their sacrifice was given for me and others. I wish to teach my son to be grateful. Observing Memorial Day is one day I want to make sure he understands is more than a day off of work and school. We started that this year and look forward to going to Green Isle perhaps next year.

The rest of the day was spent with the Monson Alms family. The tradition is to canoe on the river, but the high river was a bit too dangerous. Instead my family went to Lake Hanska and Caleb enjoyed the beach with Mommy and Daddy. The wind was pretty intense, but the waves didn't scare Caleb. He walked right into the lake!


 
This is one of the times that I didn't feel prepared as a mother seeing as I didn't know we were going to the lake and so we made due with what was in the car. Luckily we picked up some previously owned Superman PJs for post swimming clothes:) So look for that lovely 3T shirt! haha!

Future Aunt Kayla had fun blowing bubbles with Caleb. It was little tricky in the wind and with Caleb's current motor skills, but I think we'll get there soon:)
Caleb likes bottles...but he only gets this type of bottle completely empty:)

Yard games and grilling out with family. Nothing better.

1 comment: